How do you prevent transparent graphics from being displayed black when upgrading the device version?
Transparent bitmap graphics are supported by WinCC V13 and higher. The transparency information here is taken directly from the graphics file. Because of this, the behavior of graphics and graphical IO fields with the previous property "Transparency" has changed, as has the behavior of screens with transparent areas.
If projects created with WinCC (TIA Portal) V11 or V12 are upgraded to device versions V13 and up to and including V14 SP1, then in some cases the settings have to be changed on the objects (this also applies to the migration of WinCC flexible projects to TIA Portal V13 and up to and including V14 SP1).
You can make the changes either centrally using the "Transparency Tool" (TIA versions before V14) or manually change each screen separately (for all versions of TIA).
Central change using the Transparency Tool
Using the Transparency Tool, which you can download at the end of this entry, you can conveniently change the settings from a central point without having to check and change each screen individually. The result of the changed settings is then shown to you in a preview window.
Please observe the following before using the Transparency Tool:
- The Transparency Tool is not compatible with WinCC V14. If you are using WinCC V14, you should make the change manually as described below.
- You need WinCC V13 SP1 to install the Transparency Tool.
- If you use the same faceplate in different versions, you must call the Transparency Tool multiple times to edit all the versions. Only one version can be changed at a time.
- If you have changed the "Transparent Color" or "Graphics" property at the interface of the faceplate instance, this is not recognized by the Transparency Tool.
- Download the file at the end of this entry and unpack the ZIP file on your PC with WinCC (TIA Portal).
- Close the TIA Portal.
- Start the "Transparency Tool - Setup.exe" file with a double-click.
- Read and accept the license conditions. To prepare installation you copy the installation files into a target folder of your choice.
- To install, you open the target directory and double-click "Setup.exe".
The target directory opens automatically if you check the "Open the extraction location" option in the last dialog of Step 4.
- Open the WinCC (TIA Portal) project with the upgraded operator panel.
- In the project tree you right-click the operator panel or "Languages & resources > Graphics" and select "Change transparency option" in the pop-up menu.
- The list shows all the graphics and graphical IO fields whose screens contain transparent pixels and for which the property "Transparency" is enabled. If you enable the option "Use the screen background color for preview", the preview window has the same background color as at the point of usage.
- You can edit the "Transparency" property either separately for each object or by using the "Select all" and "Unselect all" buttons.
- If the warning icon is displayed for an object, you should check that object. In this case, the screen contains transparent pixels and the color that is set as transparent color at the point of usage. If the "Transparency" option is enabled, the transparent pixels are displayed black. If the "Transparency" option is disabled, the background is displayed in its original color. In this case, you should change the original file.
- In the case of a graphical IO field, you can check all the screens in the graphics list using the arrow buttons in the preview window.
- If you change the "Transparency" property of a faceplate using the Transparency Tool, a new version of the faceplate with that property is created in the library and the instances are updated in the project. For this refer also to the Notes.
The download contains the Transparency Tool.
transparency_tool.zip (997.8 KB)
Installation of new TIA Portal versions or Service Packs
If you have already installed the Transparency Tool in a previous version of WinCC V13, there might be problems when you install WinCC V13 SP1 or version V14. After installation you can no longer start the TIA Portal. Therefore, you should uninstall the Transparency Tool V13 before you install WinCC V13 SP1.
If you have already installed the SP1 without prior uninstallation of the Transparency Tool, you should reinstall the Transparency Tool.
Uninstallation of the Transparency Tool V13
You can use the tool below to uninstall the Transparency Tool for WinCC V13 SP1.
uninstall_transparency_tool.zip (3.5 KB)
This method is the only one that can be used with WinCC V14.
You change the transparency settings manually in the "Properties" inspector window of the picture object under the "Appearance" item:
- In the "Background" area you open the "Fill pattern" drop-down list and select the "Transparent" item.
- You then proceed as follows depending on the file type of the graphic:
- Remove the check mark for "Transparent" in the "Graphic" area. The transparency channel embedded in these graphics formats is used.
- With "*.bmp" and "*.jpg" files, you set the check mark for "Transparent" in the "Graphic" area and under "Transparent color" you select the color value that is to be transparent in the display. These graphics formats do not have embedded transparency channels.
Repeat these steps for all the graphics whose transparency you want to change.
If you use the graphic IO fields, the transparency of all the graphics of the underlying graphics list are configured globally in the Properties inspector window of the IO field.
Transparent, Opaque, Transparency, Alpha, PNG
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry