How do you convert STEP 7 Professional / Basic projects in TIA Portal, which you have created with earlier versions of TIA Portal?
1. Conversion of configurations
The required consolidations in the TIA Portal make it necessary that in TIA Portal V14 (SIMATIC STEP 7, SIMATIC WinCC, SIMOTION SCOUT TIA, SINAMICS Startdrive, …) and higher you can only open configurations that you have created with TIA Portal V13 SP1.
The compatibility mode is no longer supported in TIA Portal V14 and higher when opening configurations from earlier versions. These configurations are then converted into the latest version. The original project remains unchanged and you continue to work with a copy.
- In TIA Portal V15/V15.1 the STEP 7 Professional / Basic project is automatically upgraded toV15/V15.1 when opened if you have created the project with TIA Portal V14 SP1 or V13 SP1 (or higher).
- In TIA Portal V14 the STEP 7 Professional / Basic project is upgraded automatically to V14 when opened if you have created the project with TIA Portal V13 SP1 (or higher).
- STEP 7 Professional / Basic projects from earlier versions of TIA Portal (V13 without SP1 or V12, for example) first have to be stored and compiled in TIA Portal V13 SP1 before you can run the upgrade with TIA Portal V15/V15.1.
Otherwise you get the following error message as displayed in Fig 1.
"Upgrade project (0025:000219)"
2. Opening of STEP 7 Professional / Basic projects that include S7-1200 CPU modules with firmware V1.0
The configuration of S7-1200 CPU modules with firmware version V1.0 is no longer supported in TIA Portal V14 and higher. If your device configuration includes S7-1200 CPU modules with firmware version V1.0, then
- you change the firmware of these configured CPUs in TIA Portal V13 SP1 to a version that is supported by the latest version of TIA Portal,
- or you create a new CPU offline in the project with firmware version V4.0 and copy your program into this CPU if you want to use a CPU with firmware version V4.0 in your project.
Otherwise you get the error message displayed in Fig. 2.
3. HMI panels and HMI connections
In the case of device replacement, configured HMI panels are handled differently depending on the firmware version of the panel and the type of communication. An S7-1200 CPU with firmware version V1.0 is only server for HMI connections and has no own connection configuration. So, when you copy these modules, no connections are copied with them.
Further information is available in the manual "SIMATIC STEP 7 Professional / Basic V15/V15.1 and SIMATIC WinCCV15/V15.1" under Basic Principles of Migration to V4 (S7-1200).
4. Opening projects that include modules of the type "IE/AS-i Link PN IO V2.2"
The configuration of these modules of the type "IE/AS-i Link PN IO V2.2" by TIA Portal V13 SP1 Update 8 and higher.
You have to remove the existing configuration of the "IE/AS-i LINK" from the project and replace it with a corresponding configuration with a GSD file. More information about configuration is available here:
Configuration of IE/AS-i LINK PN IO in the TIA Portal.
5. Parallel installation of TIA Portal V13 SP1, V14 SP1 and V15/V15.1
You can install all three versions of TIA Portal in parallel on one PC. For all the versions together you need only the TIA Portal V15/V15.1.
6. More notes about opening projects from earlier versions of TIA Portal
- In the Online mode of the TIA Portal V14 you do not have full access to a CPU configured in TIA Portal V13 SP1 (or earlier version).
If you cannot convert a STEP 7 Professional / Basic project from TIA Portal V13 SP1 to your latest version of TIA Portal, then you should compile the STEP 7 Professional / Basic project completely in TIA Portal V13 SP1 via the two menu commands:
- "Compile > Hardware (rebuild all)" and
- "Compile > Software (rebuild all blocks)".