Burner application example for TIA Portal (Burner library)
A furnace or burner system is usually not only composed of the actual combustion chamber and the burners, but is a combination of the most diverse automation and control components. Like any plant it has to comply with the machinery directive 2006/48/EG to best avoid any danger to man, the machine itself and the environment during the whole lifecycle of the plant. To comply with the machinery directive the (harmonized) standards can be used. For the safety of atomization plants in general these are the EN 62061 or EN ISO 13849-1. Concerning the safety of (industrial) furnaces and burner systems in particular there are other standards, as for example EN 746-2, which demonstrate the potential risks and methods (constructional and functional) of how to avoid these.
When projecting a burner application, several directives and standards have to be complied with. The control logic does not only have to fulfill the requirements of the EN 62061 or EN 13849-1, but must also comply with the functional requirements of the furnace/burner/boiler specific standards.
Accordingly the following standards were taken into account when developing the here offered library here offered library to support you with the implementation of the functional requirements with minimal effort.
- EN 746-2 Industrial thermoprocessing equipment – Part 2: Safety requirements for combustion and fuel handling systems
- EN 298 Automatic burner control systems for burners and appliances burning gaseous or liquid fuels
- EN 676 Automatic forced draught burners for gaseous fuels
- EN 267 Forced draught burners for liquid fuels
- EN 1643 Valve proving systems for automatic shut-off valves for gas burners and gas appliances
- EN 12952-8 Water-tube boilers and auxiliary installations - Part 8: Requirements for firing systems for liquid and gaseous fuels for the boiler
- EN 12953-7 Shell boilers - Part 7: Requirements for firing systems for liquid and gaseous fuels for the boiler
- ISO 13577 Industrial furnace and associated processing equipment – Safety
- NFPA 85 Boiler and Combustion Systems Hazards Code
- NFPA 86 Standards for Ovens and Furnaces
The library supports Oil burner, Gas burner and Solid matter burner as single and multi-burner applications. It has the following functions:
- Function for controlling the ignition / pilot burner
- Function for controlling the functions of a gas burner
- Function for controlling the functions of an oil burner
- Function for cleaning/blowing out the oil burner
- Function to perform a tightness test of the gas valves
- Function for control and monitoring of air dampers (and actuators with discrete position-feedback)
- Function for control and monitoring of analogue actuators
- Function to perform a (pre) purge of the combustion chamber
System requirements are:
- STEP 7 V14 and higher with Safety Advanced or Safety Basic V14 and higher
- for the failsafe PLCs S7-1500, S7-1200 and S7-300
The burner application example for TIA Portal is available in English or German. You can directly download the documentation here:
Documentation in English (4,1 MB)
Documentation in German (3,8 MB)
If you wish to receive the library of the burner application example for TIA Portal for free, please send a Support Request with the following data:
- Step (select a product): "Burner Application Sample"
- Step (select an application case): "Programming>PLC Programming>Use blocks and functions"
- Step (our solutions): select nothing, just klick "Next"
- Step (describe a problem):
- Topic: "Burner Application Sample"
- Enter "-" as product number and FW/SW versoin
- Details: Enter the version(s) you want to have: "TIAP german" oder "TIAP en"
- Step (specify contact data) : "Email"
- Step (summary): "Send"
- Burner Library blocks for the PLC S7-300F
- Burner Library blocks for the PLCs S7-1200F and S7-1500F
- The fire technology/burner package for STEP 7 V5 you can find tn the entry Burner application example for Distributed Safety and F-Systems.
- Depending on the type of your burner application, a system acceptance by an independent institution may be required. Whether your application is affected by this or not, can be inferred from the relevant directives/ laws. Contacting the institution is, in either case, advisable at an early stage of the project.
update for TIA Portal V14
fire technology, flame, burner package