Configuration and Application of the PROFINET I-Device Function
Mainly in mechanical engineering, it is often necessary to realize a simple deterministic communication between modules or machines without the need to fall back on "additional" connection-oriented communication paths.
The following requirements have to be considered here:
- Efficient engineering, even for fail-safe applications
- Sustained reduction of engineering costs and commissioning time
- Reduction of the required network and system components
- Simplification of communication within machines and plants
- Simple communication between heterogeneous systems
An I-device is a CPU/CP, which is used as an intelligent IO device. With this function, PROFINET enables communication with lower-level devices as well as IO communication with other higher-level or central controllers as IO device.
I-device enables very easy and fast communication between two PROFINET IO controllers.
I-device enables accessing the IO address via the PROFINET IO protocol without using PN/PN couplers.
The I-device function has the following advantages:
- Leaner and more flexible topology
- Simple interconnection of controllers from several projects
- Integration of Siemens controllers with controllers of other manufacturers in a network (via GSD files)
- Saving PN/PN couplers
- Integrated communication with all devices in the network without additional router mechanism
I-device in a standard environment
These configuration instructions show the application in a standard environment. The following scenarios are described:
- S7-CPU as I-device
- SIMATIC-NET CP as I-device
- SIMOTION as I-device
I-device in a standard environment (2,9 MB)
Safety-related IO controller-I-device communication
These configuration instructions show the application in a fail-safe environment. The following scenarios are described here:
- F-CPU as I-device within a project
- F-CPU as I-device in two separate projects
Data record communication via I-device
The application example shows the data set communication using an I-device.
- Added configuration template for safety-related IO controller-I-device communication
- Upgraded data record communication via I-device to TIA Portal V15.1