What are the options for backing up/restoring the configuration of the SIMATIC RF600 readers RF650R, RF680R and RF685R?
The following options are available for backing up the current configuration of the reader and then, after a module change, for example, restoring it on the newly connected reader:
- Back up/restore using S7 program blocks via the SIMATIC controller (only for RF680R and RF685R).
- Back up/restore using the TIA Portal (TIA Portal V13 and higher; only for RF680R and RF685R; only with HSP configuration).
- Back up/restore via the Web Based Management (WBM) of the reader in the form of .xml files on a PC/PG
- Back up/restore via an XML interface.
The requirement for all four options is that the reader must be supplied with power. In addition, the reader has to be connected by Ethernet with the PC/PG or by PROFINET or PROFIBUS (in combination with an ASM456) with the S7 controller.
Backing up/restoring using S7 program blocks via the SIMATIC controller
- TIA Portal V13 SP1 and higher
There are two S7 block available for backing up and restoring the configuration. In this case the "Config_Upload" block backs up/uploads the parameterization of the S7 controller and the "Config_Download" block does the restoring/downloading. Further information about the blocks is available in the manual SIMATIC Ident RFID Systems Ident Profile and Ident Blocks, Standard function for Ident Systems in the section Config_Upload/-_Download.
- STEP 7 V5.5
The S7 block "Ident Profile" is available for backing up and restoring the configuration. You use the "READ-CONFIG" (0x61) command to back up the parameterization in the S7 controller. You use the "WRITE-CONFIG" (0x78) command to restore the parameterization. The download of the S7 block "Ident Profile" and the documentation are available in this entry: Download of the "Ident Profile" S7 block.
The advantage of this method is that you can make the backing up and restoring of the configuration automatic.
Back up/restore via the TIA Portal
You can use an Upload and Download function integrated in the TIA Portal to back up and restore the parameterization of the readers manually. An additional requirement for this is that each reader has to be configured in the Device View of the TIA Portal (In the hardware catalog under "Identify & Monitor" > "Ident Systems" > "PROFINET" > "SIMATIC RF600" > Select the reader concerned).
Proceed as follows for this:
- In the TIA Portal you navigate to "Device View".
- In the drop-down menu you select the configured reader.
- Select the reader in the working area.
- In the inspector window you go to "Properties".
- Under "General" you select the configuration mask "Configuration Management".
- Enter the user name and password of the reader (if User Administration is enabled).
- Use the "Save configuration in the project" button to upload the reader parameterization from the reader to your TIA project.
- Use the "Download configuration to device" button to download the reader parameterization from your TIA project (if already available) to the reader.
The advantage of this method is that the configuration is stored centrally in your TIA project.
Back up/restore via the Web Based Management
Via the Web Based Management or the reader you can back up and restore the configuration manually.
Proceed as follows for this:
- In the address line of a web browser you enter the IP address of the reader and confirm with the Enter key.
- Log on to the Web Base Management with user name and password (if User Administration is enabled).
- In the top toolbar there are two buttons for backing up and restoring the configuration. When saved, the configuration is stored as an .xml file at a location of your choice on the PC/PG. To restore you need such an .xml file at any location on your PC/PG.
The advantage of this method is that you only need a standard internet browser on your PC/PG.
Back up/restore via an XML interface
Via the XML interface of the reader you can back up and restore the configuration manually or automatically. For this you create a Windows application, for example, that backs up/restores the configuration via sets of XML commands. You use the "getConfiguration" command to back up the configuration. You use the "setConfiguration" command to restore the configuration.
Further information about the XML interface is available in the manualSIMATIC Ident RFID Systems SIMATIC RF650R/RF680R/RF685R in chapter XML interface. A demo application of this option is available on the Product DVD.
The advantage of this method is that by creating a suitable application you are platform-independent.
More information about backing up and restoring the reader configuration is available in the readers' manual in section Backup configuration data.
SIMATIC Ident RFID Systems SIMATIC RF650R/RF680R/RF685R