Setting up a secure VPN Connection between CP 1543-1 and SOFTNET Security Client
Due to increased networking through Ethernet, remote diagnostics and/or remote maintenance are of great importance in modern automation systems. Today's Internet access mechanisms (wireless, broadband) and the security components from Siemens are an ideal combination for industrial remote communication.
A VPN tunnel is the typical way to establish a secure connection between two networks (e.g., automation networks or individual devices).
A VPN is a virtual, logical private network based on a publicly accessible infrastructure. Only communication partners that belong to this private network can communicate with each other and exchange information and data.
This application shows the user how to establish a secure connection between two networks over the Internet with the aid of Siemens' Security Products portfolio.
The security modules CP 1543-1 and SOFTNET Security Client are used to implement the task.
The solution described in this application has the following characteristics:
- VPN tunnel for flexible access to the automation cell - possible, for example, for a service employee.
- Controlled, encrypted data traffic between CP 1543-1 and SOFTNET Security Client.
- Integrated network diagnostics via SNMP or Syslog.
- The firewall, VPN server and communication settings are made directly in the CP 1543-1; the security functions are integrated in the communications processor.
- Protection of the SIMATIC controller without an additional security module.
- Secure lower-level networks can be operated via additional Ethernet/PROFINET interfaces, realized by the CPU or additional CPs.
Documentation (998,0 KB)