Shutdown IPCs with Software Controller in SITOP PSU8600 Buffer Mode
Your requirement is to equip your automation plant with a flexible power supply that maintains the power supply of your IPC and of the Software Controller for a certain period of time, in the event of a power failure/breakdown.
For this scenario, Siemens provides the SITOP PSU8600 power supply system with various buffer modules. The buffer modules have various capacities and can, depending on the number and size of the consumers, maintain the power supply over a certain period of time. Thus the software controller can be switched off after a specified period of time. Before the shutdown, safety-relevant processes can be carried out, data can be saved and terminated in a controlled way in order to protect data loss or the damage of software components.
A communication with the automation network is possible via a Profinet interface on the main module of the SITOP PSU8600. The exchange of data between SIMATIC S7-1500S Software Controller and power supply can therefore take place anytime.
Part of this process is:
- Stopping the SIMATIC S7-1500 Software Controller and saving the data - subsequent termination of the controller
- Stopping the TIA WinCC application and saving the data - subsequent termination of Runtime
- Shutdown of the running Windows operating system on the IPC
For the reading out of the data and to control the SITOP PSU8600, the following function blocks are available for STEP 7 V5.5 and STEP 7 (TIA Portal) as well as HMI faceplates and HMI screen windows for WinCC flexible 2008, WinCC Comfort/ Advanced/ Professional and WinCC V7.3. The libary can be found under Entry-ID 102379345.
The application example offers you the following advantages:
- Time and cost savings through easy implementation of a monitoring routine with already existing function and system blocks
- Solution for the operation of automation components after network failure without having to install a fixed UPS
- The option of a save operation of IPCs with software controller
- An option to save your data and software from loss or damage through the buffer mode
Documentation and example project
109737962_Shutdown_IPC_PSU8600_in_Buffer_mode_DOC_en.pdf (2,2 MB)
109737962_Shutdown_IPC_PSU8600_in_Buffer_mode_PROJ.zip (21,3 MB)
- Download page of the Diagbase software:29316343
- Download page of the SITOP PSU8600 faceplate and communication blocks library: 102379345
- Download page for the Support Package of SITOP PSU8600 for TIA Portal: 102254062
- Download page to the SITOP PSU8600 firmware update: 102295547
- Application example “Guide for Migrating PC-based Controllers”: 109478804
- Manual SITOP PSU8600 - basic device with four outputs: 105867947
- Manual SITOP PSU8600 - basic device with one output: 109482936
- Manual SIMATIC S7-1500 Software Controller: 104943430
- Application example “Using Recipe Functions for persistent Data with SIMATIC S7-1200 and
- Application example “Reading out and Visualizing Energy Data of a SITOP PSU8600” 109738082
Panel PC, IPC, faceplate, faceplates, SITOP PSU8600, USV, buffer, buffering, Buffering battery, emergency power, shutdown