Communication with S7 CPU via KNX Gateway
Gateways enable communication between two networks/bus systems that use different communications protocols.
KNX is a fieldbus for building automation. Technically, KNX is the successor to the European Installation Bus (EIB), adding communication mechanisms and transmission media.
The task is to establish, using a KNX gateway, a communication connection between an S7 CPU via PROFINET (PN) and a KNX device via the KNX bus.
The figure below provides an overview of the automation task.
Representing all SIMATIC controllers, this solution uses an S7-1200 CPU. The diagrammatic representation below shows the most important components for communication between an S7-1200 CPU and a KNX network using the “Triple-X PROFINET + KNX” universal gateway from MBS GmbH.
The solution presented here offers the following advantages:
- Easy adaptation to other controller families. Representing all other SIMATIC controllers with a PROFINET IO interface, this solution uses the S7-1200 CPU.
- Easy adaptation when expanding plants. The gateway is configured directly in the gateway’s integrated web server.
- Integration of the gateway as a PROFINET IO device via a GSD file.
- Gateway as distributed I/O with up to 340 bytes of input and 340 bytes of output.
- Up to 2500 data points possible for communication between PROFINET and KNX.
Homepage of the company MBS GmbH
Update TIA Portal V15.1