How do you configure the integrated counter of the compact CPUs 15xxC-1PN for Motion Control to make it usable for encoder acquisition?
You need the following hardware and software if you want to configure the HSC (High Speed Counter) for Motion Control for encoder acquisition:
- Compact CPU 15xxC-1PN with firmware V2.0 (or higher)
- STEP 7(TIA Portal)V14 (or higher)
The following example shows you how to proceed for the CPU 1512C-1 PN.
- In the project navigation you right-click the CPU 1512C-1 PN and in the pop-up menu you select "Properties...".
- In the area navigation in the "General" tab you navigate to the high speed counters, "High speed counters (HSC) > HSC2", for example.
- Select the dialog "HSC2 > General" (Fig. 1) and enable the function: "Activate this high-speed counter".
- Select the dialog "HSC2 > Basic parameters" (Fig. 2) and enable the function: "Position input for Motion Control"
- In the section under that you select the "Module parameters" of the encoder used: "Signal type" and "Signal evaluation", for example.
- Then close the dialog with "OK".
- In the project navigation you open "Technology objects" and double-click the "Add new function" function.
- Click "Motion Control" and select a technology object, "TO_PositioningAxis", for example.
- Confirm with "OK". Now the object "PositioningAxis_1" is created in the "Technology Objects" folder.
- In the "Configuration" dialog you navigate to the "Hardware interface > Encoder" folder.
- Configure the "HSC_2" for the encoder (as shown in Fig. 3).
- Then click the OK icon (green check mark).
- Switch to the "Hardware interface > Data exchange" and under "Data exchange Encoder" you select the parameters for the encoder.
- When you have completed your configuration, save and compile your PLC station.
More information is available in the manual under S7‑1500 Motion Control V4.0 in TIA Portal V15 - CPU 1511C-1 PN / CPU 1512C-1 PN.
The screens in this FAQ response were created with STEP 7 (TIA Portal) V14.