Delivery release of SIMATIC PN/PN Coupler V4.0 (6ES7158-3AD10-0XA0) and strain relief for PROFINET cable (6ES7193-6RA00-1AN0)
The SIMATIC PN/PN Coupler is released for delivery in a completely revised version 4.0, effective immediately. The new hardware has been converted to the compact design of the ET 200SP. In addition to many new features, the PN/PN Coupler now also has a flexibly adjustable PROFINET connection via a SIMATIC BusAdapter.
A strain relief for the PROFINET cable is available as an accessory.
The functional principle allows deterministic data exchange without sacrificing the network separation.
The PN/PN Coupler V4.0 has two separate PROFINET IO device interfaces (network sides). Up to 4 IO controllers can be connected to each of these two network sides. In total, a maximum of 8 IO controllers can exchange data via the PN/PN Coupler. The almost instantaneous data exchange takes place by simply copying the output data from the sending IO controller to the input data of the receiving controller. When the data is exchanged beyond the network boundaries from one PN-IO interface to another, the network separation is suspended.
In principle, the PN/PN Coupler provides two transmission methods, which can also be used in combined form:
- Cyclic data coupling
The PN/PN Coupler updates the data to be copied cyclically in the configured PN clock (starting at 125µs). The PN clock of the two network sides can be set differently.
- Acyclic data coupling
The PN/PN Coupler also enables the acyclic transmission of data records and makes them available to the receiver controller(s) for retrieval.
In general, the PN/PN Coupler also allows data exchange of fail-safe PROFIsafe data via F-SendDP and F_ReceiveDP.
A SIMATIC BusAdapter with two ports can be installed on the network side. In this way, the PN/PN Coupler enables simple and extremely flexible integration into almost all network topologies, regardless of the transmission hardware and the required connection system.
Fig. 1: Data transmission between two S7-1500 IO controllers beyond a PROFINET network boundary
As of V4.0, the PN/PN Coupler can alternatively or additionally exchange data between IO controllers on the same network side.
Fig. 2: Communication between IO controllers on the same network side
Numerous advantages through the ET 200SP-based enclosure design
With version V4.0, the PN/PN Coupler obtains a enclosure design based on the ET 200SP I/O system. The ET 200SP package offers the following advantages over the previous enclosure:
- Compact dimensions
By reducing the width by 20 mm and the height by 15 mm, less space is required in the control cabinet. The installation depth remains unchanged so that the new PN/PN Coupler can also be mounted unchanged in flat 80mm terminal boxes.
- Free choice of PROFINET connection system and transmission hardware via SIMATIC BusAdapter
Copper cables can be connected directly to BusAdapters with RJ45 interface via RJ45 plug or with BusAdapters with FC interface. Available for connection of glass fiber-optics. The combo versions of the BusAdapter enables realization of cost-saving and space-saving, system-integrated, CuFOC media converters
The maximum connectable cable length is
- 50 m (BusAdapters with SCRJ interface for POF or PCF or with LC interface are available for POF fiber-optic cables)
- 100 m (Cu, PCF)
- 3,000 m (glass fiber)
This allows the new PN/PN Coupler to be easily integrated into virtually any data network. It is even possible to change the transmission hardware by replacing the BusAdapters, for example, when high differences in potential occur due to the use of fiber-optics. The basic unit does not have to be replaced.
- Use of standard RJ45 connectors in straight (180°) design
No special plug (90°) required, lower part variance and storage costs
- Removal of the SIMATIC memory card
The function of a redundant memory location to ensure device exchange without a programming device and without the need for topological configuration is handled by the BusAdapter. The removal of the SIMATIC memory card saves costs and simplifies handling during service.
- Reset-to factory button
A reset-to factory button is located on the back of the enclosure. It allows the factory settings to be immediately restored to the device. Alternatively, this function can still be performed via software (PLC program or TIA Portal). This simplifies servicing.
- Strain relief
The PN/PN Coupler as of V4.0 offers a system-integrated mounting option for optional strain relief of the PROFINET cable.
New module operating modes, "IO Modules", expands the application
The PN/PN Coupler offers more decoupled data transfer between the two network sides as a standard configuration as of version V4.0. In the hardware catalog of the TIA Portal, the virtual data modules of this type of data transfer recommended for new projects are managed as "IO Modules" module operating mode. The following advantages can be achieved with this:
- Flexible adaptation of the diagnostic options to the various applications
- Free configuration of the response to communication interruptions on the other network side depending on the requirements
- Simplified data exchange with 3rd party IO controllers
The previous module operating mode (up to FW version V3.x, 6ES7158-3AD00-0XA0 or 6ES7158-3AD01-0XA0) with closer coupling of the two network sides can be configured to expand existing projects or for spare part scenarios. In the configuration, this module operating mode is used as "IO Modules (expanded comp. V3.x)" for PN/PN Couplers as of V4.0.
For V4.0, the PN/PN Coupler supports the full PROFINET scale, thereby providing greater reserves for the data exchange
- Data can be exchanged among up to 4 PROFINET controllers per network side.
- The sum of the I/O data that can be exchanged in each PN cycle has been increased by 1024 bytes for inputs and 1440 bytes outputs.
- A maximum of 16 input/output areas are available for data exchange
- A maximum of 254 bytes of input and 253 bytes of output data can be exchanged per module.
- For data transmission via a data record, up to 4096 bytes per slot are possible. The PN/PN Coupler can buffer up to 8 data records at maximum.
Faster data transmission
With V4.0, the PN/PN Coupler can provide the input data for the IO controller(s) in even shorter time intervals. The shorter data transmission times achieved means processes can be controlled more quickly.
- With the performance upgrade, PN/PN Coupler V4.0 supports the "High Performance" application class of PROFINET specification V2.3. The performance upgrade brings a number of measures that will lead to the following improvements for PROFINET with IRT.
- Fast Forwarding
Reduces the runtime delays in the IO devices
- Dynamic Frame Packing
Bandwidth increase for cyclic IO data
=> Reduction of the bandwidth consumption of the PROFINET frame
Reduces the transmission rate to a minimum of 125µs. The internal copying times were also shortened.
PN/PN Coupler V4.0 supports MRPD (Media Redundancy for Planned Duplication for IRT). By sending the cyclic IO data in both directions in the ring, the communication to the IO devices is maintained even during an interruption in the ring and does not lead to device failure even with low update times.
- S2 system redundancy
As of V4.2, the PN/PN Coupler also supports the S2 system redundancy and can thus also be used for data exchange with high-availability S7-H controllers.
- Network load class III
The PN/PN Coupler features high interference immunity to a high network load.
New copy functions MSI/MSO
- Module-internal shared input (MSI)
Module-internal shared input provides a copy of the input data to up to 3 IO controllers simultaneously. It is irrelevant whether the 3 copies of the input data (MSI data) are copied to the same network side (module-internal MSI) or the other network side.
- Module-internal shared output (MSO)
Module-internal shared output provides a copy of the output data to up to 3 IO controllers as input data simultaneously. It is irrelevant whether the 3 copies of the output data (MSO data) are copied to the same network side (module-internal MSO) or the other network side.
Extended diagnostics options
- Data status byte (DS)
A data status byte (DS) is added to all input modules for detailed diagnostics. This byte can be evaluated in the user program. The following errors can be differentiated:
- 0x40: No valid coupling partner of the input data of the module
- 0x60: IO controller in the other subnet is in the STOP state
- 0x80: Valid user data are being received
- Extended channel diagnostics
The PN/PN Coupler provides information on the following errors via the extended channel diagnostics:
- User data sent invalid
- Invalid BusAdapter on PN/PN coupler
- Error on the other network, differences between the two networks at slot n
- No input data configured for the activated data display
- Shared device conflict, invalid submodule allocation at slot n
- Power supply error (PS numbers)
The installation and operating instructions for PN/PN Coupler V4.0 can be downloaded from the Internet using the following link: 44319532
The GSD for configuring the PN/PN Coupler is available for download via the following link: 23742537
In addition to GSD, an HSP is also available for configuration via TIA Portal as of V15.
PN/PN Coupler V4.0 (without BusAdapter)
· BA 2×RJ45
· BA 2×FC
· BA 2×SCRJ
· BA SCRJ/RJ45
· BA SCRJ/FC
· BA 2xLC
· BA LC/RJ45
· BA LC/FC
Accessories and spare parts
· Reference identification label, mat, sheet with 16 labels
· Roll, foil, pre-perforated, light gray (with a total of 500 labeling strips)
· Roll, foil, pre-perforated, yellow (with a total of 500 labeling strips)
· DIN A4 sheets, 180g/m² paper, pre-perforated, light gray (with a total of 1000 labeling strips)
· DIN A4 sheets, 180g/m² paper, pre-perforated, yellow (with a total of 1000 labeling strips)
· Cover for BusAdapter interface
· 24 V DC connector (spare part)
· PROFINET strain relief (planned for 12/2017)
PN/PN Coupler V4.0 (6ES7158-3AD10-0XA0) replaces PN/PN Coupler V3.0 (6ES7 158-3AD01-0XA0) with almost full compatibility (for details, see the "Compatibility" section below).
PM400 (product discontinuation announcement) for PN/PN Coupler V3.0 is planned for 01/02/2018. The PM410 (type discontinuation) is planned for 01/10/2018. A of this date, PN/PN Coupler V3.0 will only be available as a spare part.
PN/PN Coupler V4.0 is functionally almost fully compatible with PN/PN Couplers up to V3.0. When a PN/PN Coupler <= V3.0 is replaced by a PN/PN Coupler > = V4.0, no re-configuration or rewiring is required, except in the following cases:
- The PN/PN Coupler to V3.0 has been operated with a SIMATIC memory card.
Since the PN/PN Coupler does not have a SIMATIC memory card as of V4.0, the BusAdapter functions as a memory card. In this case, you must provide the PN/PN Coupler with the device name, for example, using STEP 7 TIA Portal or PRONETA.
- The PN/PN Coupler up to V3.0 was operated with an angled 90° PROFINET connector
- You would like to use a BusAdapter with an RJ45 socket.
Replace the PROFINET cable and replace the angled PROFINET connector with a SIMATIC NET IE FC RJ45 Plug 180 connector
- You would like to use a BusAdapter with direct connection (FC).
Replace the PROFINET cable and place the PROFINET cable directly on the FC connector of the BusAdapter.
- The PN/PN Coupler up to V3.0 has been configured in the "Flexibility" IRT operating mode
- STEP 7 as of V5.5
The PN/PN Coupler V4.0 must be re-configured with the "high performance" operating mode.
- STEP 7 TIA Portal
The PN/PN Coupler V4.0 must be re-configured with the "IRT" operating mode.
A transmission rate of 10 Mbps for Ethernet services is no longer supported.
Manufacturer-specific diagnostics: The User Structure Identifier (USI) is scaled down from 4 bytes to 3 bytes. (Byte 4 has not been used by PN/PN Coupler <= V3.0 in the past).
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry