SIMATIC Industrial OS – The Linux-based operating system for SIMATIC IPC
Operating systems – the core component of a computer
Besides the hardware, the operating system is the core component of a computer.
It can contain application programs or only provide the necessary resources to the applications. Depending on the requirements regarding these applications, a highly compact operating system might be sufficient. Possibly even without a graphical user interface.
An operator system "off the rack" cannot meet these requirements as they must cover a wide range of requirements.
In addition, the requirement stating that the behavior and structure of the operating system must be configured individually is increasingly placed. Whether for security reasons or in order to provide completely new products or solutions.
Linux operating systems have already been a possible, proven answer to these challenges for some time.
But here again, you are faced with the decision as to whether you shall use a ready-to-use distribution package, or set up an individual operating system.
Additional aspects include the hardware driver support, the real-time capability, the definition of a minimum setup, a test concept, fast commissioning, the support in case of technical problems, etc.
This is usually extremely time-consuming and always leads to extra costs.
SIMATIC Industrial OS – the operating system for applications performed in the industrial environment
The Linux-based operating system SIMATIC Industrial OS is not only an alternative to the proven Microsoft Windows operating systems which are available for SIMATIC IPCs, it is also the answer to the above-stated challenges.
The focus lies on a small footprint, without unnecessary ballast, but including all the components which are required to ensure fast commissioning and easy further development. The operating system has been set up and tested on the SIMATIC IPCs and can be used in the industrial environment and in other fields of application.
- It is based on Debian 9 (Long Term Support Kernel)
- Real-time capable due to the "PREEMPT RT patch"
- It has been set up and tested for and on SIMATIC IPC
- Small footprint
- Easy and fast installation via service USB Flash Drive and initial setup
- It has already been prepared for the installation of additional components (e.g. Gnome desktop environment)
- Simple integration of SIMATIC products/features (depending on the availability)
- The service USB Flash Drive can be used as a local repository
- Basic backup and restore concept via service USB Flash Drive
- Optimum scalability and reusability, as only one image is provided for all SIMATIC IPCs
- Unlimited use of existing advantages (freely available packages, basic update concept, etc.)
- Same product support as for other SIMATIC products (in accordance with the general terms and conditions)
Support for further SIMATIC IPCs and PROFINET will soon be provided.
The SIMATIC Industrial OS can be obtained via the Industry Mall using OSD.
The scope of delivery of the download includes the image for a service USB Flash Drive, an installation guide, the product information, and the license certificate.
After the download, the service Flash Drive image is transferred onto a USB Flash Drive, then the system is booted via this USB Flash Drive.
Afterwards, the operating systems are transferred onto the IPC and commissioned for the first time.
Detailed information is provided in the installation guide.
A system test has been performed with SIMATIC IPCs for the SIMATIC Industrial OS.
The following SIMATIC IPCs have been released by Siemens for SIMATIC Industrial OS Version 1.3:
- SIMATIC IPC127E *
- SIMATIC IPC327E/377E
- SIMATIC IPC227E/277E
- SIMATIC IPC347E
- SIMATIC IPC427E/477E
* LED is not yet supported in Version 1.3
When using the SIMATIC Industrial OS on one of the released SIMATIC IPCs in combination with a SIMATIC Industrial Flat Panel, the following applies to all devices equipped with a touchscreen: With the exception of SIMATIC IPC377E, only multi-touch devices are supported.
Licensing and rights of use
We grant you the non-exclusive, perpetual right to install SIMATIC Industrial OS in an (1) instance only on one of the SIMATIC IPCs stated under "Devices released". Further rights of use will not be granted.
Furthermore, the details included in the Certificate of License (CoL) and the General License Conditions for Software Products for Automation and Drives apply accordingly.
The copyright notes regarding third-party software which is included in this product, in particular Open Source software, as well as the license conditions applying to such third-party software, are provided in the folder "OSS.READMEs" of the service Flash Drive image.
Special note for resellers
The information and the license conditions in the OSS.README files must be passed on to the purchasing party to avoid license infringements by the reseller or purchasing party.
- USB Flash Drive with a minimum memory size of 8 GB
- SIMATIC IPC (see released devices) with at least 4 GB free memory space on the target storage medium (CFAST, SSD, etc.).
SIMATIC Industrial OS V1.3 can be ordered via Online Software Delivery (OSD).
|SIMATIC Industrial OS||6ES7648-6LA81-0YA8|
One SIMATIC Industrial OS version each is required for each SIMATIC IPC.
|Download note: |
The OSD download does not currently provide full performance.
The change to a more powerful system is already in progress and will be completed soon.
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry