Structure of a large production network based on ARUBA and SCALANCE products
Principal requirements for large production networks are:
- Separation of the enterprise network (IT) from the production network (OT) by segmenting the network into logically separated zones.
- All communication between the two networks has to pass through a central firewall.
- A redundant datacenter, based on a modern virtualization solution, is installed in the production network.
- The infrastructure in the backbone of the production network requires a high data rate and a high port density.
- Highly flexible communication must be possible between the individual production cells and the industrial datacenter. It must meet current standards with respect to availability, security, scalability, flexibility and network management.
Due to a high bandwidth requirement in the backbone of the production network, which also contains an industrial datacenter, transfer rates over 10 Gbit/s may be necessary. The central firewall has to secure the communication between the cells as well as the IT-OT communication. Therefore, this application example will use a Palo Alto Networks firewall which offers the appropriate bandwidth and protocols for communication between IT and OT. HPE Aruba switches are used in the backbone. At the aggregation and production cell level, SCALANCE X network components are utilized.
Owing to a high bandwidth requirement in the backbone of the production network, which also contains an industrial datacenter, transfer rates of over 10 Gbit/s may be expected here. Because the central firewall secures not only the communication between the cells but also the IT-OT communication, this application example will use a Palo Alto firewall which possesses the appropriate bandwidths and the necessary protocols for communication between IT and OT. All central switches in the backbone are used in conjunction with components from HPE Aruba. For the aggregation and production cell level, this solution approach uses SCALANCE network components throughout.
The following graphic shows the complete structure of the network used in this application example.
The following links to application examples address some of the principles applied in this solution with SCALANCE components.
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry