Updating the PROFINET driver to V2.2
PROFINET driver for controllers
Reasonably priced components represent a decisive competitive advantage, especially in the construction of series machines. In this case, users often use self-developed control software. For various reasons, such as performance, flexibility and cost, the individual application is then implemented on standard PCs. The PROFINET driver supports this in-house development and does not require any specific hardware, thanks to the conventional Ethernet interface.
As the PROFINET driver is supplied as source code, customized solutions can be migrated to different operating systems and hardware platforms. Thus, the PROFINET driver can also be optimally used for customized controller solutions in the Embedded area. The driver is easily engineered and configured via an open XML interface without requiring an engineering tool. The long-standing and well-proven PROFINET stack of the SIMATIC is the core of the driver.
The PROFINET driver is ideally suited both for basic applications such as individual PROFINET lines, and for complex machines. Via the standard Ethernet interface, it supports PROFINET RT for cycle times of 1 ms or higher. Alternatively, you can also use PROFINET IRT for cycle times of 250 μs or higher – in combination with the controller development kit CP 1625.
Controller Development Kit CP 1625
The Siemens SOC1 provides the hardware support that is required to manufacture an IRT controller. The controller development kit CP 1625 is suited both for standalone and for host operation.
- Stand-alone mode: PN stack and application run on the SOC1.
- Host operation: The application runs on PC or e.g. ARM – the stack on the CP 1625.
PROFINET networks must be planned. For the PROFINET driver, this can be done via TIA Portal. A license is not required for this. The ConfigLib is an autonomous API for the creation of PROFINET hardware configurations. The ConfigLib allows to create RT and IRT projects, and sets up the planning algorithm.
Scope of delivery
- CD with source code
- Development license
New functions of the PROFINET driver V2.2 compared to V2.1
- With PN Driver V2.2, a new variant is introduced: Linux Native
- Support of Linux IP Stack
- Support of Standard Linux Ethernet Driver
- PROFINET Performance Upgrade:
- Fast Forwarding
- Dynamic Frame Packing (DFP)
- Send Clock Optimization in Isochronous Real-time Communication (IRT)
- Calculation Tool for Isochronous (ISO) Mode
- Support of Windows 10 and Visual Studio 2017
- Firmware Download over SSH into CP1625 Stand-alone over an SSH (Secure Shell) connection
- Enable/Disable SNMP
- Support of Project Integrated I-device
Hardware configuration with STEP 7 (TIA Portal) V16 + HSP 0307: A new PN Driver HSP (HSP 0307) is available for TIA Portal V16. 72341852
|PROFINET driver for controllers||6ES7195-3AA00-0YA0||Development kit in source code|
|SIMATIC CP1625 Dev.||6ES7648-2CF10-1BA0||Hardware required for the IRT controller development (e.g. operating system porting) or standalone operation.|
|SIMATIC CP1625||6ES7648-2CF10-1AA0||Hardware required for the IRT controller. PCIe plug-in card for PC.|
|PN driver runtime licenses, 1 unit||6ES7195-3AA05-0XA0||Runtime license A runtime license is required if the PN driver does not run on SIMATIC hardware.|
|PN driver runtime licenses, 10 units||6ES7195-3AA10-0XA0|
|PN driver runtime licenses, 50 units||6ES7195-3AA20-0XA0|
|PN driver runtime licenses, 200 units||6ES7195-3AA30-0XA0|
|PN driver runtime licenses, 500 units||6ES7195-3AA40-0XA0|
- License Conditions
- with Seat or Registered Office in Germany AddOn_License_PN_Driver_in_Deutschland_2018-06-06.pdf (21,7 KB)
- with Seat or Registered Office outside of Germany AddOn_License_PN_Driver_outside_Germany_2018-06-06.pdf (21,8 KB)
- PROFINET Driver V2.2
- Product information PNDRIVER_02.02_README.txt (33,8 KB)
- OSS information PNDRIVER_02.02_ReadMe_OSS_en_US.html (298,9 KB)
- PROFINET ConfigLib
- Product information PNCONFIGLIB_01.01_Readme.txt (10,8 KB)
- OSS information PNCONFIGLIB_01.01_ReadMe_OSS_en_US_10217055.htm (31,8 KB)
The detailed user documentation can be found in article: 109780921
Patches & Download
The current version of the PN driver and the PNConfigLib can be found in article: 109780929
In addition to the product CD, the programming examples described in the documentation are available for download in article: 109757568
Technical information and support on development packages are provided by Support Team:
Siemens Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş.
Yakacık Caddesi No 111
34870 Istanbul, Turkey
Comprehensive consulting prior to starting the development project is particularly important for an efficient and successful development process. The final step in field device development is certification. For PROFINET, Siemens also offers you independent, accredited test laboratories like ComDeC in Germany, PIC in the USA and ITEI in China, and an Test labs in the Czech Republic.
Germany and Europe
Communication, Development & Certification (ComDeC)
Breslauer Strasse 5
90766 Fürth, Germany
Tel.: +49 (911) 750-2080
Zelený pruh 1560/99
140 00, Praha 4, Czech Republic
Tel: +420 244 091 111
Siemens Ltd., China
Factory Automation Department
7, Wang Jing Zhong Huan Nan Lu, Chaoyang District, Beijing 100102, PR. China
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry