Questions and answers about the new security features in TIA Portal V17
With TIA portal Version 17, several security improvements for the communication between engineering stations, PLCs and HMI panels have been introduced. Mainly:
- The communication is encrypted by means of Transport Layer Security protocol or TLS. This is achieved by applying individual certificates for each partner. The certificates can be imported or created in TIA portal with the certificate manager.
- The confidential PLC configuration data can be protected by a user-defined password. This protection is optional.
by Default” concept: several options have been preconfigured and are set by
default to ensure a higher security level for machines and plants. This
- The preactivated PLC configuration password requirement, that ensures all confidential PLC configuration data are protected by default.
- The predefined secure PG/HMI communication, which prevents unsecured communication with other partners.
- The preactivated “PLC access protection”, that prevents any type of access to the controller unless explicitly configured.
To simplify the security configuration on the devices, the user is guided through a wizard which assists them with the security settings. This includes the protection of confidential PLC configuration data, the secure PG / HMI communication, and the access level of the SIMATIC controller.
Following components support the new secure SIMATIC PG/HMI
- What are the new security features introduced in TIA Portal V17?
- When can I update my PLC firmware? How is the update process performed?
- When and how is my PLC fully using the new security features introduced in TIA Portal V17?
- What is “Security Wizard” and why do I need it?
- What can be configured with the “Security Wizard”?
- Why do I need to define a password for PLC configuration data?
- Is the communication between PG and PLC secure even if I don’t assign a PLC confidential configuration data password?
- What should I do if I want to exchange a PLC that is protected with a confidential configuration data password?
- Can I assign a confidential configuration data password to a PLC without using TIA Portal?
- How can I assign a confidential configuration data password to a PLC without using TIA Portal?
- How can I connect previous HMI systems (<TIA Portal V17) with a new PLC firmware (>=V2.9)?
- What should be taken into consideration when working with certificates?
- What should I do when the certificates on the PLC/HMI expire?
- What are the security enhancements regarding project protection and user management in TIA Portal V17?
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry