SIMATIC Box PC 840 Now Available With New Options: Windows XP, Celeron 1.2 GHz
Two new options are available for the SIMATIC Box PC 840: The high-performance Celeron 1.2 GHz microprocessor with its optimal price / performance ratio and the new Windows XP Professional MUI (Multi language User Interface) operating system in 5 languages (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish).
Microprocessor option: Celeron 1.2 GHz
This new option adds a microprocessor featuring excellent price/performance ratio to the SIMATIC PC:
- high clock rate: 1.2 GHz
- large Second-Level Cache: 256 KB
(the SLC thus has the same size as that of the Pentium III 866 MHz, and double the size of the Celeron 566 MHz)
- 100 MHz Front Side Bus
(FSB, memory bus - compared to 66 MHz with the Celeron 566 MHz)
The new Celeron microprocessor comes from the "Intel Embedded Line" and will therefore remain available for a period of 2 to 3 years. This architecture ensures long-time functional continuity for industrial PCs and in this way helps to avoid cost intensive changes of PC platforms at our client's installations. The performance of this new Celeron microprocessor is in line with that of a Pentium III 866 MHz microprocessor. A test conducted with the "SYSmark 2000" benchmark suite gave good marks to the new Celeron:
- Celeron 1.2 GHz: 199 points
- Pentium III 866 MHz: 175 points
This new microprocessor option thus provides an optimal
price/performance ratio for the SIMATIC PC.
Windows XP operating system option:
The new Windows XP Professional operating system option is available in the MUI version (MUI = Multi language User Interface) in 5 languages (English, German, French, Italian, Spanish), same as for Windows2000. The basic language is English and approx. 15% of the texts are output in English, even if the selected language is not English.
Windows MUI versions are not available on the market, but only via exclusive Microsoft OEM sales channels, such as Siemens.
In the case of SIMATIC PCs, Windows XP Professsional MUI is supplied as "OEM Embedded License", as is the case with our other Microsoft operating system options. This kind of licensing has the following important advantages for our clients:
- No elaborate enabling of the operating system via Microsoft.
- Long-term availability of the operating system, even after the discontinuation of supply of the operating system by Microsoft (SIMATIC PCs can even to-day be supplied with MS-DOS and WinNT).
- Proof of licensing at the customer's site is easy: A COA label (Certificate of Authenticity) affixed to the PC provides proof. No additional software CD ROMs or certificates are required.
- The advantage of a MUI version is that a client can commission a PC in his own local language and then change the language to that required by the end customer. Without MUI a new Windows operating system with suitable language would have to be installed at additional costs.
Windows XP is installed in the SIMATIC PC ready for use. "Commissioning" only necessitates inputting the name of the licensee, after which the system will start immediately. This form of supply is very convenient for clients and helps to save time (approx. 1.5 hours compared to a new installation with a Windows XP operating system CD ROM).
A Windows XP Restore CD ROM is included and enables a new installation of Windows XP, when required. In line with our OEM Embedded License agreement, the Windows XP Restore CD ROM will only run on a SIMATIC PC.