Transfer modes with DP/RS232C Link
Can I combine various transfer modes with my DP/RS232C Link?
With the DP/RS232 Link you can use three different transfer modes:
- The Start/End delimiter mode (see Entry ID: 14693176),
- Number of characters mode (see Entry ID: 14690552) and
- Delay between characters mode (see Entry ID: 14690998).
You can also use two modes simultaneously. Below is a description of the possible variants and which should be used by preference.
1. Start/End delimiter mode / Delay time between characters
It is useful to combine the Start/End delimiter mode with monitoring of the delay time between characters. In this case the data message has to be given a Start character and an End character and be transferred within a specific time. Otherwise the characters already received are discarded and the transfer has to be restarted.
In order to be able to use this combination, you have to assign the following parameters on your DP/RS232C Link.
Fig. 1: Parameters for Start/End delimiter mode combined with
monitoring of delay time between characters
( red fields = connection settings of the serial interface
blue fields = configuration of the number of characters mode
white fields = not needed for the configuration )
2. Number of characters mode / Delay time between characters
It is not possible to use the number of characters mode combined with monitoring of the delay time between characters. Any setting of delay time between characters mode will be ignored.
3. Number of characters mode / Start/End delimiter
It is in fact possible to combine the Start/End delimiter mode with specification of byte length, but is not of any use.