How can I log in on a Windows 2000 computer without keyboard (e.g. Panel PC)?
Normally it is not possible to have other programs start automatically before the Windows 2000 login procedure.
With the Resource Kit from Microsoft however you can, for example, have a batch file, a VB script or a Jscript started automatically by Windows before login. This is done by an additional service.
With an appropriate call in a batch file you can start the screen keyboard of Windows 2000 before the login procedure. This then gives you the option of logging in in Windows 2000 without a keyboard.
However, this is only possible with the "screen keyboard" integrated in Windows 2000. After login this keyboard is hidden automatically.
You have to have administrator rights to install the additional service.
This functionality is valid for the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Microsoft Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Unpack the attached file "autokey.exe" and then start the file "install.bat". After that, restart your computer. The integrated screen keyboard is now activated.
- More information is available in FAQ entry 243486 from Microsoft at the following link:
- Please note that the virtual keyboard is only available when you boot the computer. When you log off (or lock your computer) and then log in again, the screen keyboard is no longer active.
Autokey.zip ( 25 KB )
Screen keyboard, Login, AutoExNT