How can you clear the error message 257:5 in STEP 7?
The error message described above:
- "257:5 One or more objects of a type cannot be displayed. ..."
is complemented by a second error text that refers to the server or also a file that cannot be found or recognized by STEP 7. The error message appears when you open the SIMATIC Manager, a block (FB, FC, OB or DB) or the hardware configuration. The following reasons might be the cause.
- You are processing a STEP 7 project that has been created with one or more software options packages. Either these software options packages have been installed on your computer with an old version or not at all.
- You are processing a project that has been installed with a higher version of STEP 7 and contains functions or modules that are not yet included in the previous version of STEP 7 you have installed.
- You do not have enough storage space on your hard disk or your swap file (virtual main memory) is too small.
- Your STEP 7 project or program sections from your project have been destroyed.
- Your STEP 7 installation is defective or some of your SIMATIC software files are damaged.
Remedies are described in the table below.
|No.||Remedies for error message 257:5|
|1||Missing options packages
*If you have installed STEP 7, this list is also in the subdirectory "Start > SIMATIC > Information > English > STEP 7 Compatibility List".
|2||Missing operating system update|
Check the compatibility between your version of STEP 7 and the MS Windows operating system. You might have to install an update for your version of STEP 7. For example, you need STEP 7 V5.4 with at least SP4 for MS Windows XP Professional SP3. More information is available in our Entry ID: 8250891.
|3||STEP 7 version conflict|
STEP 7 projects are downwards compatible to previous versions. Projects created in version V5.4 can also be edited in version V5.3, for example. However, the project created in STEP 7 V5.4 must not contain any components and functions not supported by the previous version, like new CPU modules or new functions (such as access protection or SIMATIC Version Trail).
STEP 7 V5.4 requires between about 650 and 900 MB of free memory on your hard disk.
The Windows operating systems supported require additional memory on the hard disk (typically disk C:) for the swap file, depending on the memory expansion available. You should keep at least twice the size of the main memory free. (Example: with a main memory expansion of 512 MB you need another 1024 MB of free memory on the hard disk for the swap file after installing STEP 7). Depending on the project size, you might need a larger swap file when copying an entire project, for example (twice the project size in addition on the hard disk). If the memory for the swap file is too small, errors might occur (or the program might even crash). Other Windows applications (e.g. MS Word) running simultaneously with STEP 7 V5.4 also require additional hard disk space for the swap file.
More information on setting the virtual main memory in the Windows operating systems is available in our Entry ID: 20440472.
|5||Defective STEP 7 project|
It is possible to restore the project by reorganizing the project. Reorganizing compresses the project and the gaps resulting from deletions are removed from the project. This method reduces the project's memory requirement.
If the remedy described does not help, create a new STEP 7 project via "File > New..." and copy the blocks from the old project into the new project. Also transfer the hardware configuration from the old project into the new project with the functions "Station > Export..." and "Station > Import...".
|6||Defective installation of STEP 7|
The message described above is also displayed when some of the files of the SIMATIC STEP 7 software are damaged or if the installation of the STEP 7 software has been aborted. In most cases, the repair function on the STEP 7 CD can be used to restore the software status on your PC.
If it is not possible to restore the software status on your PC using the repair function on the STEP 7 CD or by reinstalling STEP 7, we recommend completely uninstalling STEP 7 and also deleting the entries in the Registry. For this we recommend consulting our Entry ID: 189025. Then you can reinstall STEP 7.
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry