Back up and Recovery of a Hard Drive via the Network
How can I back up and recover a complete hard drive (file server)?
Precondition is a functioning network. In below example the file server uses Windows 2000 as operating system with the following settings: network connection via TCP/IP with the IP address: 192.168.10.6 and subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Creation of a Hard Drive Back-up (Creating ghost)
- Boot PC that needs back up with CD SIMATIC PC/PG Image Creator.
- In the first menu choose your language with number key 1 to 5.
- Activate network support with number key 1.
- Choose "Enter manually static IP address" with number key 2.
- Enter now the IP address of the PC to be backed up (e. g. 192.168.10.7).
- Enter now the data for the respective subnet mask (e. g. 255.255.255.0).
- Check and confirm or correct your entered data of the IP address and subnet mask.
- Write in your user name with which you can access the file server.
- Enter now the respective password.
- Connect up to the back up drive of the file server with "net use .." as shown on screen.
This drive must me authorized at the file server.
- Start the back up program via file GHOST.BAT.
- Choose menu Local > Data medium > To Ghost.
- Choose the source drive that needs backing up.
- Choose the target drive on the file server.
- Now select target drive and enter file name of the back up file.
- Choose now the type of compressing ("fast" is recommended)
- Now confirm the creation of the ghost file.
- Wait until the creation of the ghost file is completed and continue with button "Continue".
The back up program return to the main menu.
Recovery of a Hard Drive (Retransferring an Image )
- Do above 1-11.
- Choose the menu Local > Data medium > From Ghost.
- Now choose the source drive of the file server, on which the ghost file exists.
- Now choose the source folder on the sourve drive and select the file name of the back up file which you want to retransfer.
- Now select the target drive on your PC.
- Confirm your choice via "OK"
- Now click "Yes" for the recovery of your target drive.
Data on your target drive will be overwritten and will be lost irrevocably!
- Wait until the cration of the ghost file has been completed successfully and continue with "Continue".
The back up program will return to the main menu.
Drive Back Up, Ghost