Determining the transmission time for typical configurations on Industrial Ethernet
Automation projects often require intensive data exchange between SIMATIC S7 controllers. The possible communication paths vary considerably. Numerous S7 controllers and S7 communication modules are available.
To be able to make the right selection in the concept phase of an automation project, it is important to know the communication performance of the planned configuration.
Important questions in this context are listed below:
- Which S7 components are best suited for the planned automation project?
- Which data transfer times are expected for typical configurations?
- How does the data communication affect the cycle (OB1) of an S7 controller?
- Which communications services can be used for specific S7 components?
- Which communication service should be used considering performance aspects?
The following screen shows the schematic layout on a variant:
To answer the above questions, Industry Automation and Customer Services carried out extensive measurements on typical configurations with SIMATIC components, which provide planning certainty for your plants:
- Typical S7 controllers transmit data to up to 30 S7 controllers
- Security configurations
- Load programs with practical relevance in the corresponding S7 controllers enable values under real conditions
To correctly interpret the measured values, we recommend referring to the boundary conditions of the measurement in the documentation.
Overview of the measured variables
|Transmission time||Time from send trigger command to reception of the data in the respective data block of the receiver.|
|Cycle time sender||Time between two process image transfers in the S7 controller of the sender.|
|Cycle time receiver||Time between two process image transfers in the S7 controller of the receiver.|
|CbA transmission interval||Time between two CbA transmission intervals for cyclic transmission (set in SIMATIC iMAP)|
|PNIO update time||Time between two IO cycles of the IO controller. (calculated by STEP 7)|
Measurement was performed for some typical configurations. This does not mean that every possible configuration has been measured.
|Version||Measurement time||Measured components||Documentation on measurement||Link to Web GUI||Measurement values (Excel)|
|V 6.0||2019||components_list_V6||available soon||IE_Comm-Measurements.xlsm|
|V 5.0||2018||components_list_V5|| (708,5 KB)||CommIE_V5|
Reactivation of Web Application
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry