Determining the transfer time for typical configurations in PROFIBUS
Automation projects often require intensive data exchange between SIMATIC S7 controllers. The possible communication paths vary considerably. Numerous S7 controllers and S7 communication modules are available.
To be able to make the right selection in the concept phase of an automation project, it is important to know the communication performance of the planned configuration.
Important questions in this context are listed below:
- Which S7 components are best suited for the planned automation project?
- Which data transfer times are expected for typical configurations?
- How does the data communication affect the cycle (OB1) of an S7 controller?
The following screen shows the schematic layout of the measurement on a variant:
To answer the above questions, Industry Automation and Customer Services carried out extensive measurements on typical configurations with SIMATIC components, which provide planning certainty for your plants:
- Typical S7 controllers transfer data up to 8 S7 controllers.
- Typical parameters and configurations.
- Praxis relevant load programs within the respective S7 controller.
Overview of the measured variables:
|Transmission time||Time from send trigger command to reception of the data in the respective data block of the receiver.|
|Cycle time sender||Time between two process image transfers in the S7 controller of the sender.|
|Cycle time receiver||Time between two process image transfers in the S7 controller of the receiver.|
Measurement was performed for some typical configurations. This does not mean that every possible configuration has been measured.
|Version||Measuring time||Components used||Link|
|V 1.0||July - Nov. 2005|
Switch to new Web user interface.