What are the options for exchanging data between CPUs via MPI/PROFIBUS DP?
SIMATIC S7 provides diverse communication services and connections.
Here we present a selection of options for data exchange between CPUs (S7-300, S7-400). The select does not include all conceivable possibilities.
Usually the MPI/PROFIBUS DP interface is used for CPU-CPU communication.
Please also note the different data and consistency areas in the individual CPUs and services.
1. MPI interface and communication services
|Communication services||Further information and notes|
|Global data||SFC manual 1) Chapter 19;|
FAQ 430498 with detailed instructions.
|S7 basic communication with X_PUT, X_GET||SFC manual, sections 22.5 and 22.6|
An overview of the communication options via MPI is available in Entry ID: 21537047. A detailed explanation is available in the SFC manual, chapters 19 - 22.
2. PROFIBUS DP interface and communication services
|Type of connection||Further information and notes|
|Master/Master||DP-DP coupler links two networks;|
manual in Entry ID: 1179382
|CPUs connected via CP 342-5;|
application in Entry ID: 20987807
|Master/Slave||S7 basic communication with X_PUT, X_GET:|
SFC manual, sections 22.8 and 22.9; application in Entry ID: 20987910
Master and slave must be in the same project, one CPU is I slave.
|Slave/Slave (internode communication)||FAQ with Entry ID: 1016961|
Further information and notes
- A systematic overview of all communication with SIMATIC S7 is available in Entry ID: 20982954 and in the manual "Communication with SIMATIC" in Entry ID: 1254686.
- Additional communication services are available in the SFB manual in the chapters on communication.
- Connection between S7-300/400 and S7-200 is described in the FAQ in Entry ID: 747743 .