Provision of Analog Standard Fixed Telephone Lines from Deutsche Telekom to Be Discontinued
Not later than September 30, 2009 Deutsche Telekom will disconnect all analog standard fixed telephone lines, also known as “analog dedicated lines“ or “leased lines“. This will affect SINAUT systems which are connected via such lines with modems.
Not later than September 30, 2009, Deutsche Telekom will disconnect all analog standard fixed telephone lines, also known as “analog dedicated lines“ or “leased lines“. (source: Telekom). This will affect SINAUT systems (SINAUT ST1/SIMATIC S5 and SINAUT ST7/SIMATIC S7), which are connected via such lines with the modems MD100, MD124, MD125, MD2 or MD3.
As an alternative, Deutsche Telekom is offering a digital standard fixed telephone connection. Such digital connections can be operated with the MD4 modem as ISDN dedicated line modem. However, the initial investment and the monthly rental charges for a point-to-point dedicated line are relatively high.
As an alternative, the following transmission media are available for SINAUT systems:
- Radio telecontrol (non-public radio data transmission for telecontrol and alarm alerting)
- DSL Connection (Internet)
- GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) via GSM network/Internet
- Analog dialling line
- Digital dialling line
- GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications, dialling connection via modem mode (CSD) )
- Use of own private cable connections (telecommunication line, Cu or FOC)
In your selection of a suitable replacement medium, many different factors must be taken into account, e.g.
- Local/geographic conditions and distances
- Availability of public networks or own communication paths
- Design and structure of the overall network
- Hardware configuration
- Availability and redundancy requirements
- Establishment of a telecontrol center
- Required investment costs
- Conversion costs
- Future running costs
Our experienced specialists can support you in your decision-making process. If you are affected by the above measure of Deutsch Telekom, please contact our sales engineers. We will gladly analyze your system and work out a cost-effective solution for you.