AS-AS Communication between process control system PCS 7 and Freelance 800F by ABB
In the case of an expansion or modernization of large plants it is necessary that various process control systems are linked to be able to exchange important data quickly and easily. Linking different process control systems may be very complex due to a big age difference or different manufacturers.
In a plant with "Freelance 800F" process control system by ABB the main operation is renewed and modernized. For economic reasons the controllers in ancillary systems will not be exchanged to maintain the infrastructure, i. e. in the ancillary systems, the old part of the plant, the "Freelance 800F" process control system will be continued to be used. The main operation of the plant will be modernized with the PCS 7 process control system. Therefore the "Freelance 800F" process control system in the ancillary system has to be linked with PCS 7 in the new section of the plant.
The PCS 7 process control system uses the standard automation system AS417-4 with CP343-1. The "Freelance 800F" process control system uses the AC 800F controller with "EI 813F" communication module.
The following picture shows the combination:
Communication blocks and function blocks are offered for the AS 417-4 in PCS 7 and AC 800F controller in Freelance 800F to realize the data transmission via UDP protocol over Industrial Ethernet. The data consists of variables with data type REAL and BOOL.
The variables, which are send from the AS 417-4 to the AC 800F controller and are received in the AS 417-4 from the AC 800F controller, have to be convert into suitable formats. In the AS 417-4 there are four function blocks for conversion.
- function block "RecABBRe" to convert a received variable with data type "REAL"
- function block "RecABBBo" to convert a received variable with data type "BOOL"
- function block "SndABBRe" to convert a variable with data type "REAL" which is sent to the AC 800F controller
- function block "SndABBBo" to convert a variable with data type "BOOL" which is sent to the AC 800F controller
This Application Example shows the configuration of the controllers AC 800F and AS 417-4, as well as the call and parametrizing of all function blocks, which are necessary for sending, receiving and conversion of variables.
This entry was created with SIMATIC PCS 7 V7.1, the procedure is transferable to higher versionen PCS 7.
Integration of an ABB Freelance Controller with PCS 7/OPEN OS V8.0 SP1
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry