In STEP 7 (TIA Portal), how can you count forwards and backwards in a bandwidth between -2147483648 and +2147483647?
Fig. 1 shows the call of the function block "Dcount" in the OB "CountMain" with the parameterization of the variable of the the data block "Count". The program for counting was created in the FB "Dcount" and includes the German and English comments.
Counting forwards and backwards in a bandwidth between -2147483648 and +2147483647 is done by an edge change at the "up" and "down" inputs.
- With a positive edge at the "up" input the value at the "count" output is incremented by "1".
- With a positive edge at the "down" input the value at the "count" output is decremented by "1".
- With a positive edge at the "lPreset" input a preset value at the "preset" input is transferred to the "count" output.
- You can input a comparison value at the "compare" input.
- If during counting the "count" output reaches a value that is equal to or greater than the value entered at the "compare" input, the "qCompare" output receives the signal "1".
The FB "Dcount" described above was created in the programming language SCL and for counting in the bandwidth it receives a series of IF instructions, for example:
IF #statCount >= #compare THEN
#qCompare := true;
#qCompare := false;
To optimize the program even further you can also use the "Greater than Equal to" instruction instead of the IF instruction, for example:
#qCompare := #statCount >= #compare;
The table below shows the input and output parameters with the associated data type in each case for the FB "Dcount".
|compare||Input||DInt||Input for the comparison value|
|preset||Input||DInt||Input for presetting the counter|
|lPreset||Input||Bool||Enabling the presetting|
|count||Output||DInt||Output of the counter value|
|qCompare||Output||Bool||Output "1" when "count" >= "compare"|
Boxes are transported from A to B on a conveyor belt.
- Scan 1 detects the boxes placed on the conveyor and with the input E0.0 the value at the "count" output is incremented by "1".
- Scan 2 detects the boxes removed from the conveyor and with the input E0.1 the value at the "count" output is decremented by "1".
- If boxes are removed or sorted out during the course of the transport and are not detected by Scan 2, then the value at the "count" output increases due to the difference by "1" for each box removed. For example, if a value of 20 boxes is set at the "compare" parameter and the "count" output reaches the value 20, the output A0.0 receives the signal "1". This is the difference value of the boxes removed in addition or lost.
Through a plug-in (not included in the download) you can program stopping of the conveyor belt with reference to the signal at output A0.0.
You can use the library for the S7-1200/S7-1500 and for the S7-300. The Master Copies folder contains two subfolders. Each subfolder contains the FB "Dcount" with its instance DB, the OB "CountMain" and the global DB "Count".
- If you are using the S7-1200 or S7-1500, you drag and drop the blocks from the subfolder "S7-1200/S7-1500" to the program folder.
- If you are using S7-300, you drag and drop the blocks from the subfolder "S7-300" to the program folder. You can also use the program for the S7-400.
The attached download "39309294_Dcount_Lib_STEP7_TIA_Portal_V13.zip" includes the STEP 7 (TIA Portal) library with the blocks described above. Unpack the ZIP file in a separate directory on your hard disk. Then you can use STEP 7 (TIA Portal) to open and edit the library.
You can only open and edit the library in STEP 7 (TIA Portal). Further information about opening libraries is available in Entry ID: 37364723.
Fig. 1 and the download in this FAQ response were created with STEP 7 (TIA Portal) V13+SP1.