Data Synchronization with S7 Communication between several S7-1200 Substations and one S7-1500/300 Head PLC
A cyclic communication is often required for synchronization tasks and exchanging control and status information between a head-end station (here client) and several distributed substations (here server) via Industrial Ethernet.
The following points shall be realized:
- Supplying all field controllers with the same or differend data records from the head-end station.
- Updating the data records from all substations in the head-end station.
In an application example, the solution provides a modular STEP 7 (TIA Portal) program for the synchronization between head-end and substations. The employed hardware components are S7-1200 CPUs in the substations, and an S7-1500 or alternatively an S7-300 CPU in the head-end station. The program offers the following functionalities:
- Supplying the substations (servers) with data records defined by the user (write synchronization).
- Updating defined data records from the substations (servers) with the client head-end station (client) (read synchronization).
- Optional clock synchronization from the head-end station (client) to the servers.
The solution introduced here offers you the following advantages:
- Simple changes of size and storage location of the data areas to be synchronized in the example project..
- Scalable project for application of less or more than four substations.
- Modular program setup. Both synchronization directions are encapsulated completely in function blocks and can be used separately in your applications.
- In the example program, some measurements for the transfer time were generated which help you estimate your synchronization time.
Version 2.1 for STEP 7 (TIA Portal) V15.1 or higher
Documentation "Consistent Data Synchronization with S7 Communication between several Substations and one Head PLC" (1,6 MB)
Sample project with one head PLC (S7-1500 or S7-300) and four substations (S7-1200) (1,1 MB)
Error elimination + update to TIA Portal V15.1
Central station, field station, data concentratorsynchronization
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry