What are the requirements for installing STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17?
1. Installation of STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17 in parallel to other versions of STEP 7
The requirements for installing STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17 are available in the Product Information and in the manual:
2. Parallel operation online of STEP 7 (TIA Portal) V17 with earlier versions of STEP 7
There is no release for the parallel operation online of STEP 7 V5.7 or earlier and STEP 7 V17 (TIA Portal).
The parallel installation of
- WinCC V17 Advanced with versions of WinCC pre WinCC V7.3 is not permitted,
- WinCC V17 with WinCC V7.3, WinCC V7.4 or WinCC V7.5 is not permitted for WinCC V17 Professional and WinCC V17 Runtime Professional.
3. Opening projects from earlier versions of STEP 7 (TIA Portal)
In STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17 the STEP 7 Professional / Basic project is automatically upgraded to V17 when opened if you have created the project with TIA Portal V13 SP1 (or higher). Projects from earlier versions of TIA Portal first have to be stored and compiled in one of those versions. More information is available in Entry ID: 109476392.
4. Compatibility with projects from STEP 7 STEP 7 V5.4 SP5 and higher
Using the "Project > Migrate Project..." function in STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17 you can migrate Program codes and hardware configurations created with STEP 7 V5.4 SP5 and higher to STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17. The STEP 7 projects that contain a configuration with WinCC or WinCC flexible can also be migrated to STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17 with the included WinCC flexible parts. Included configurations created with WinCC V7.0+SP2 or lower are currently not migrated as well. The following components must be installed on your computer for this:
STEP 7 V5.4 SP5 and higher
WinCC V7.0+SP2 and higher or WinCC flexible 2008+SP2 and higher
More information is available in the manual of STEP 7 (TIA Portal) under Migrating STEP 7 projects.
You cannot migrate WinCC V7.0+SP1 or lower.
5. Repair of STEP 7 (TIA Portal) V17 software
If the installation of STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17 is defective or has been damaged by an event, you have the option of repairing the software.
Insert the STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17 CD in your computer's CD drive.
If the Setup program does not start automatically, open the "Start.exe" file.
Select the language in which you want the dialogs displayed.
Select the "Repair" option field and click the "Next >" button.
Follow the instructions on the screen.
If installation of STEP 7 STEP 7 Professional / Basic aborts and you receive the message that you must uninstall an earlier version of WinCC Professional beforehand even though you have already done the uninstallation, this might be due to a Registry code. In the Registry Editor you open the path "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Siemens\Automation\_InstalledSW\TIAP1x\TIA_ES_V1x\PrivateProperties\INST_TYPE_LEVEL_INTERNAL" and remove the item "4_0_Professional". Do a restart and then you can install STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17.
6. Uninstallation of STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17
You can uninstall STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17 in two ways:
- Uninstallation via the Control Panel (in Windows 10)
Uninstallation using the SIMATIC STEP 7 Professional / Basic V17 CD
The uninstallation instructions are in the TIA Portal Information System under Starting to uninstall.
7. Further Information
- How do you uninstall STEP 7 (TIA Portal) completely?
- TIA Portal - An Overview of the Most Important Documents and Links - Controller
This entry contains information about editing the Registry. You should make a backup copy of the Registry before editing it. More information on making a backup copy, restoring and editing the registry is available in the Microsoft Knowledge Base in Entry ID 256986. Incorrect use of the Registry editor can cause serious problems that affect the complete system and require a reinstallation. You use the Registry editor at your own risk.
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry