What restrictions are there for assigning the computer name for WinCC?
Details on the restrictions are available in the Online Help at the following links:
SIMATIC WinCC V6.0 and higher
The computer name may contain an underscore, however, if DNS host names are used, you must not include any underscore characters in the name.
In order for WinCC to be able to work correctly you must assign a name to the computer. Proceed as follows:
Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2012
- Navigate to "Start > Control Panel > System".
- Under "Settings for computer name, domain and work group" you click "Change settings" (administrator rights required).
- In the "System Properties" dialog you click the "Change..." button.
- In the "Computer name:" input field you enter a valid computer name and confirm your entries with "OK".
Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003
- Select the menu command "Start > Settings > Control Panel > System".
- Open the System folder and under System Properties you select the Network Identification tab.
- Click the Properties button and in the "Change User Information" window that opens you enter the computer name in the Computer Name field.
We recommend avoiding special characters altogether in computer names, because depending on the different services there are various restrictions regarding the use of special characters.
You should no longer change the computer name after installing WinCC and after the first call of the SQL server. If you do nevertheless change the computer name afterwards, then you must uninstall the SQL server and re-install it.
- WinCC V7.3 Do not change Windows computer name
- WinCC V7.2 Do not change Windows computer name
- WinCC V7.0 Do not change Windows computer name
Determination of a later change of computer name
In order to determine whether the computer name has been changed subsequently, you compare the computer name in the SQL server with the current computer name.
WinCC V6.2 and higher
- Open the SQL Server Enterprise Manager via the Windows Start menu "Start > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > SQL Server Management Studio" or "Start > Microsoft SQL Server 2008 > SQL Server Management Studio".
- Check the entries in the "Registered Servers" field. Here you find the entry "<Computer name>\WINCC". If the computer name has been changed, additional "<old computer name>\WINCC" entries are present.
Up to WinCC V6.2
- Open the SQL Server Enterprise Manager via the Windows Start menu "Start > Microsoft SQL Server > Enterprise Manager".
- In the SQL Server Enterprise Manager you extend the entry "Console Root > Microsoft SQL Servers > SQL Server Group". Here you find the entry "<Computer name>\WINCC".
- If the computer name is different from the current computer name of your system, then you must reinstall the SQL server.
For SIMATIC WinCC versions lower than V6.0
In order for WinCC to be able to work correctly, you must assign a name to the computer. Proceed as follows to do so:
- Select the menu command Start > Settings > Control Panel.
- Open the Network folder and select the Identification tab.
- Click the Change... button and in the window that opens you enter in the Computer Name
field the name of the computer.
The computer name must not contain any special characters like space, backslash or underscore.
It is limited by the operating system to a length of 15 characters.
It is recommended to use only the characters a to z, A to Z and 0 to 9.
The computer name must begin with a letter.
Presettings, Configuration, Special characters