How do you start S7-PLCSIM in STEP 7 (TIA Portal)?
With TIA Portal V14 and higher you can download via the new S7-PLCSIM interface for the product groups S7-300/S7-400/S7-1200/S7-1500. Then, on the system side, the S7-PLCSIM for the selected product group is started.
- S7-PLCSIM V5.4 and higher starts for the S7-300/S7-400 product groups
- S7-PLCSIM V14.0 and higher starts for the S7-1200/S7-1500 product groups
Note the following features for the simulation tool:
- S7-PLCSIM is released for configured S7-1200 controllers with firmware V4 and higher.
- S7-PLCSIM V5.x cannot be active at the same time in STEP 7 V5.5 or V5.6 (Professional 2010 or 2017) and in STEP 7 (TIA Portal).
- Only one online mode is possible; this is in order to avoid any confusion between the simulated and the real CPU. Therefore you cannot work in the "real" world and the "simulated" world at the same time.
- The TIA Portal products STEP 7 and S7-PLCSIM must be compatible with each other or have the the same version, V15,. for example.
- The real network (MPI or TCP/IP) is replaced by a virtual network in which the simulated CPU is displayed (in the "Accessible Nodes" dialog, for example). Likewise, no simulated CPU is displayed when real CPU modules are visible.
The instructions below show you how to procedure for starting S7-PLCSIM in STEP 7 (TIA Portal) for an S7-1500. You can also apply this procedure for the S7-1200/S7-300/S7-400 products.
- Open your project in the Project View and in the Project tree you mark the CPU for which you wish to establish a connection.
- Select the menu command "Online > Simulation > Start", or in the menu bar you click the "Start simulation" icon (Fig. 1).
- In the "Extended download to device" dialog you select the type of PG/PC interface, "PN/IE", for example. The PG/PC interface is then set automatically to "PLCSIM".
- Select the "Connection to interface/subnet" configured in the device configuration and then click the "Start search" button (Fig. 2).
If your CPU was already connected with the PG/PC interface setting selected above, the online connection is re-established automatically with that setting.
- When the online connection has been established, click the "Load" button.
- In the following dialog, "Extended download to device", you click "Load".
- As with the real CPU, at the end the "Load results" dialog opens. Enable the "Start all" function and click "Finish".
- Switch to the "PLCSIM" dialog. Via the button marked in Fig. 3, in S7-PLCSIM you can switch from the Compact view to the Project view.
- Test your program.
More information about STEP 7 (TIA Portal) and PLCSIM is available in the manual under Simulation of devices.
The screens in this FAQ response were created with STEP 7 (TIA Portal) and S7-PLCSIM V14.