How do you detect an inconsistently or incorrectly formatted SIMATIC Memory Card (SMC) and how do you repair it?
The SIMATIC Memory Card (SMC) has a special FAT32 file system that can be used in Windows. If you use the card in a standard card reader in Windows, the card must always be disabled using the "Eject" function or the "Safely Remove Hardware" function before removing it from the card reader. Otherwise, you might lose your data. On the SIMATIC Memory Card there are two files that the S7-1500 requires for processing. These two files are identified as hidden files. If these two hidden files are deleted on the SIMATIC Memory Card, you can no longer use the memory card in that way with an S7-CPU. You must first reset the original formatting on the SIMATIC Memory Card. You can determine this state in the S7-1500 Display or with STEP 7 (TIA Portal). You have the following scenarios for this:
In STEP 7 (TIA Portal) you receive the message below in the diagnostics buffer:
- Event: "Card reader/writer warning: inconsistent structure of the load memory"
- Event ID: "16# 02:4177"
- Description: "CPU maintenance requirement: Card reader/writer warning: inconsistent structure of the external load memory, current card type: Program card ..."
- Event: "Error when evaluating memory card: Load memory not accepted..."
- Event ID: "16#02:4175"
- Description: "CPU error: Error when evaluating memory card: Load memory not accepted or cannot be created, current card type: Memory card incorrectly formatted ..."
You also receive a corresponding message in the S7-1500 Display.
You have various options for restoring the SIMATIC Memory Card.
If the memory card was not disabled properly using the "Eject" function or the "Safely Remove Hardware" function, the card can be repaired with Windows 7:
- Slot the SIMATIC Memory Card into a standard card reader. Windows 7 automatically checks whether the card was removed correctly by the last user (bit with boot sector).
- The "Do you want to check and repair "SIMATIC MC"?" dialog opens. Click "Check and repair (recommended)".
- Click "Start". The card is now repaired.
- Close the dialog.
- Do not use Windows Explorer nor any other Windows tools for formatting. Such formatting would render the SIMATIC Memory Card unusable for the S7-CPU. In this case you must first reset the original formatting.
If you have deleted the file system (hidden files) of the SIMATIC Memory Card, the memory card can be repaired and formatted only with a S7-1500 CPU with TIA Portal or with an S7-1200.
Restoring the memory card with the S7-1500 CPU
- Slot the SIMATIC memory card into an S7-1500 CPU and establish an online connection with S7-1500 CPU.
- Open the "Online & Diagnostics" view of the CPU.
- In the "Functions" folder you select the "Format Memory Card" group.
- Click the "Format" button.
Restoring the memory card with the S7-1200 CPU
If you restore the memory card with the S7-1200, the program is loaded automatically from the CPU to the memory card. There is then no longer any program on the CPU.
- Slot the SIMATIC memory card into an S7-1200 CPU that is switched off.
- Switch on the S7-1200 CPU.
- Wait until the MAINT LED stops flashing.
Bear in mind that the hidden system files of the memory card are only restored automatically with firmware version V2.0.1 or higher. This is not possible with earlier versions of the firmware and you can no longer use the memory card.