Quality Assurance by means of Weighing, Controlling and Logging with the SIMATIC S7-1200 (Set 6)
In the packaging industry, containers are to be filled with a specified number of a product (e.g. of wall anchors), calculated by weight control.
The automation task is to include the following requirements:
- Calibrating by means of a reference weight before the beginning of the process
- Determining the filling weight of a package for quality control in a filling plant
- Measuring the average specific weight of new articles by means of the teach function and capturing it in a recipe management
- Automatic taring of the scale before each filling process
- Filling and packaging on the basis of the measured overall weight, compared to a set target number of pieces from a recipe management
- Documenting the weight with time stamp and ID number by means of the data log function
- Operator control and monitoring via HMI touch panel
The SIMATIC S7-1200 controller family offers the optimum combination for automatic filling using the SIWAREX WP231 weighing module.
With the help of the high-resolution SIWAREX WL260 load cell, weights up to 3kg can be acquired. Easy commissioning of the SIWAREX WP231 weighing module is performed by means of the writing of data records via the S7-1200 CPU as of firmware V1.1.
The application example has been realized using the TIA Portal and can be operated either via the SIMATIC HMI TP700 Comfort or its simulation.
The recipe management from which the data for the product to be filled is carried out in the CPU. The recipes are exported in the load memory.
The control of this filling process is simulated with the help of the digital on-board outputs of the controller. The production data is exported in CSV format (CommaSeparatedValues) into the flash memory of the CPU via the integrated DataLogging function. You can conveniently access this data via the integrated PLC web server and evaluate it, for example, in Microsoft Excel.
As of CPU firmware V4 the recipe data can also be exported, edited and imported back to the filling process.
In addition, the Comfort Panel TP700 provides the option to save the csv file on a USB stick on site for later evaluation via the integrated USB ports with the help of Internet Explorer in Windows CE.
Current version 4.0 as of TIA Portal V15.1 (STEP 7 V15.1, WinCC Comfort V15.1)
Flyer V3.0 (277,6 KB)
Documentation (2,9 MB)
Project V4.0 for TIA Portal V15.1 and S7-1200 CPU FW V4.2 (2,7 MB)
Manual “SIMATIC S7-1200 automation system”
Manual “SIWAREX WP231 electronic weighing system”
TIA Portal program "Ready for use" for SIWAREX WP231
Function extension of set 6: "Logging user data by means of RFID using the SIMATIC S7-1200 (Set 13)"
Application example “Using recipes with SIMATIC S7-1200”
Sales and delivery release SIMATIC Automation Tool V3.0
Update to TIA Portal V15.1
Quality management, filling
- You have a technical question / problem: Ask the Technical Support
- You want to discuss in our forum and exchange experiences with other users
- You want to create CAx data for one or more products
- You would like to send us feedback on this Entry