Instructions for Updating the CPU 410 Operating System
The following instructions describe the basic procedure when updating the operating system of a CPU 410, as well as the particularities in the case of redundant automation systems. More information on operating system updating is also provided in the user manual of the CPU 410 under "Firmware updating" and "Firmware updating in RUN".
a) Basic procedure when updating the operating system
- Open the automation system with the CPU to be updated in HW Config
- Earmark the CPU
- Select the menu command "PLC > Update Firmware"
- In the dialog "Update Firmware" use the "Browse" button to select the path to the firmware update files (*.UPD)
- Select the firmware update file -> following this, the dialog "Update Firmware" will indicate in its lower section for which module this file is suitable and as from which firmware version
- Click on the "Execute" button.
At first, all indication LEDs of the CPU will be lit (INTF, EXTF, FRCE, CRST, RUN, STOP). The operating system update is completed after about 2 minutes and is indicated by the slowly blinking STOP LED (prompt for overall reset by the system). The self-test will start directly after the update; depending on the memory size this can take several minutes.
b) Particularities in the case of redundant automation systems
In the case of redundant automation systems the operating system of the CPUs can also be updated in RUN mode. In RUN the firmware can only be updated to the next higher firmware version. Downgrading to a lower firmware version is not possible in RUN mode.
Updating the operating system in RUN
(please also read any additional version-specific information provided)
- For CPU access protection with password: In SIMATIC Manager, select a CPU of the fault-tolerant system, then select "PLC > Access Rights > Setup" from the menu. Enter the CPU access password.
Select one of the two CPUs using either SIMATIC Manager -> Project, or HW Config.
Do not use the "Accessible nodes" menu command in SIMATIC Manager.
Select the "PLC > Update Firmware" menu command.
A wizard is started that can automatically update the firmware on both CPUs.
Both CPUs of a redundant automation system must have the same firmware version. If one of the CPUs fails, simply order a new CPU with the same article number. The new CPU will be delivered with the latest firmware version, which may be higher than the firmware version of the failed CPU. You now have two possible options:
- Option 1: Upgrade the CPU still in operation to the latest firmware version of the new CPU:
- Select the CPU in HW Config
- Execute the menu command "PLC > Operating state > Switch to" and select the option box "with changed operating system"
- Execute the menu command "PLC > Update Firmware" for the second CPU
- Cold restart the CPU -> the automation system will now go to the redundant operating mode
- Option 2: Downgrade the new CPU to the lower firmware version of the CPU still in operation (this is not possible in RUN mode; the procedure is as described under a) above, but without plugging the FOC sync cable)