Application of the "Siemens IO-Link Devices" block library
Systematic diagnostic concepts and efficient handling of parameter data are demanded in automation technology on all levels. It is imperative here that sensors and switching devices are integrated into the automation compound.
Communication IO-Link offers new possibilities through intelligent connection of sensors and switching devices to the control level. Main topics are switching, protecting and monitoring on field level.
The IO-Link system consists of an IO-Link master and one or several IO-Link devices (sensors or actuators). The IO-Link master works as interface for superimposed control and controls the communication with the connected IO-Link devices.
The solution consists of two parts:
- the Siemens IO-Link Devices library for STEP 7 V5.5 SP3 and STEP 7 V13 SP1, incl. Documentation
- one application example for STEP 7 V13, incl. Documentation
The library provides function blocks and UDTs for all IO-Link devices from the Siemens portfolio which standardizes and facilitates the communication with the IO-Link devices. The function blocks have a uniform interface for the individual devices. Per read/write job, only the data record specified at the input is read/written.
Die application illustrates the usage of the SIEMENS IO-Link Devices library using three scenarios with SIRIUS IO-Link components. The following scenarios are realized for various IO-Link master and PNIO controllers:
- Simple reading and writing of data records.
- Generating a program alarm using a diagnostic data record.
- Save and restore the configuration parameters.
The operation is handled via a WinCC user interface.
The following scheme shows the hardware setup of the application:
The block library offers you the following advantages with the help of the application:
- Fast and easy commissioning of the IO-Link devices
- Uniform interfaces for the communication with all Siemens IO-Link devices
- "Copy and modify" program examples
Integration of the new IO-Link library V2.1 (SIRIUS ACT devices)