Motors – Slip ring motors
Since the introduction of slip ring technologies, different slip ring systems and carbon brush modules are used for very different applications. For years, operators are trying to reduce the wear and tear of the brushes as much as possible.
To meet these demands, Siemens has developed an optimized slip ring brush system. By means of this system the distribution of the electricity can be optimized in the parallel carbon brushes. This therefore increases the life of the brushes considerably.
- Reduced carbon brush abrasion.
- Longer lifecycle.
- Less brush dust deposit and thus reduced soiling (in slip ring space, rotor winding and stator winding).
- Prolonged maintenance intervals.
- Increased service life.
- Reduced risik of unforseeable total losses (e.g. flashovers, brush jams, damages on slip rings).
- Cost saving by reducing maintenance effort.
Slip ring motors (Siemens and external manufacturers) can be converted to modern variable-speed systems in many cases. A major part of the energy costs so far, can thus often be saved. For this purpose, there is a conversion to a drive system with motor and converter. The SINAMICS converter series sets standards here, thanks to their versatile fields of application.
For modernizations or a retrofit of slip ring motors, different solutions can be used, for example
- Modification in squirrel cage motor with upstream converter (variable-speed
To be able to operate the slip ring motor with a converter, the rotor is converted to a squirrel cage rotor. The starter can be omitted because a SINAMICS PERFECT HARMONY GH180 is used for control.
- Functional replacement by squirrel cage motor and converter
The slip ring motor is replaced by new asynchronous motor. The starter can be omitted because a SINAMICS converter is used for control.
- Functional replacement by direct drive and converter
The slip ring motor is replaced by a high-torque motor (HT direct series) with high torque. It is available as water cooled or fan cooled. The starter and the drive can be omitted because a SINAMICS converter is used for control.
Proceed as follows
Your Siemens Contact Person will be happy to answer your questions regarding these services.