Skip to Content
|4/22/2010 7:29 AM|
Last visit: 9/13/2016
Can any one tell me thediffrence between Profinet and Profibus and Profibus-DP and
|4/22/2010 5:10 PM|
Last visit: 5/26/2015
let me try to answer this.
1. The difference between PROFINET and PROFIBUS.
The major difference is PROFIBUS runs on RS 485 and is a bus system based on token passing. PROFIBUS is a deterministic system.
PROFINET runs on Ethernet (seen for RT and CBA, IRTneeds some more requirements). Ethernet itself is a stochastic system. With PROFINET the system tries to run in an deterministic mode.
2. The difference between PROFIBUS DP and PROFIBUS PA.
Actually, there is nearly none... but
- the Baud rate on PA is always 31,25 kBit/s.
- the Baud rate of PROFIBUS is 9,6 kBit/s up to 12 MBit/s.
- the physics of PROFIBUS is RS485 with up to 5 V DC
- the physics of PROFIBUS PA is also RS 485 but it is intrinsically safe (< 3,3 V I think, but I am not sure right now... )
- PROFIBUS PA may be run at EX areas... depending on certain regulations.
I think these are the most important differences... that just came up in my mind. I would appreciate any additions.
This contribution was helpful to
3 thankful Users